[AT] Adventures with shear pins

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sun Jul 27 07:07:56 PDT 2014

Generally I agree John and I didn't mean to sound
like I was advising folks to otherwise.   However,
I've just had really bad luck with sheer bolts.
The first bush hog we ever owned was an Allis Chalmers
built one that daddy bought new with his D-10.
It was a 5' model and was actually too big for the tractor.
If you raised the lift it was a fair bet on which would come up
first the bush hog or the front end.  Still even being an
over powered gear box for the tractor, we couldn't keep the
factory sheer bolts in it and they never sheered when we hit
something.  You would just be mowing along in clean pasture
and the blades would stop turning.  Ok, you say, buy a lot of
sheer bolts and keep them on hand.  Well the problem was that
the factory Allis Chalmers sheer bolt was brass and it was
$13.50 in 1965 dollars.  On top of that the nearest dealer was
35 miles away.  So I started using grade 5 bolts.  It made no
difference.  I could still hit a stump without sheering the bolt
and it would still fail from wear after 40 or 50 hours of running time.

I've been through a few other brush cutters since that one and I have
never yet had a sheer bolt to sheer when I hit something regardless of
having a slip clutch or not.  In fact I've hit stuff so hard with that old
D-10
that with the engine running at wide open throttle it shut off dead in it's
tracks,  Sheer pin never budged.  Not even the brass ones.

The best thing I've found is the slip clutch but they didn't have them back
in the
old days or at least I didn't know about them until the 80's.   The only
trouble
with slip clutches is that if you set them loose enough to do any good they
tend
to slip when you don't want them too.  It gets down to how much risk to your
equipment you are willing to absorb in order to get maximum production.

Charlie