[AT] Adventures with shear pins

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sun Jul 27 06:34:31 PDT 2014

To each their own, but I'm going to run whatever grade shear bolt the
manufacturer built it for. Dad always taught me to buy a bushog by the HP
rating of the gearbox. The IH dealer he worked for sold Hardee, folks seemed
to have pretty good luck with them. Also, running stump jumpers is a great
idea as well.

We have three rotary mowers here. All are old. The one with the most hours
is a 3 blade Lilliston belt drive. Never been into the main gear box. No
slip clutch, just shear pin. Over the years we've broke a few spindles. The
belts probably slip and protect the gear box. No telling how many hours we
have ran it. Wore out one deck, bought a used one and when it wore out we
weled a thick sheet of steel over the whole deck.

Then we have a 2 blade Mohawk. It uses a slip clutch, but that’s not enough
to protect the outer gearboxes. I can't remember if the center gearbox has
ever been rebuilt, but those outer ones have a lot. We have to run it on a
tractor that is almost too small to lift it in order not to tear out a
gearbox. And this is just mowing grassy areas, not grinding up trees or
clearing undergrowth. It's one of the worst pieces of equipment ever to come
here.

Finally we have a single blade tow type Lilliston that is 50 years old. NO
holes in the deck believe it or not. No slip clutch, just shear pins. The
center gearbox has never been opened. My uncle used to make/maintain logging
roads with it and a 90 hp Deere. Just an amazing machine.

John Hall