[AT] lessons

pga2 at BasicISP.net pga2 at BasicISP.net
Sun Jul 13 14:34:01 PDT 2014

Tyler,
If I remember correctly, you are legally blind. I would recommend that you
get your grandfather to tell you his stories and record them on either tape
or a digital recorder. Digital would be the easiest to transfer to a computer
and then record to a CD for safekeeping.
Unfortunately, both of my grandfathers died before my first birthday. I sure
wish they could've left me with their stories as my dad's father grew up on
a farm and my mom's dad was a carpenter (I don't know what his background
was before that) who probably also was part of a farm family.

Phil in TX

-----Original Message-----
From: Tyler Juranek
Sent: Saturday, July 12, 2014 10:55 AM
To: Antique tractor email discussion group
Subject: Re: [AT] lessons

John,
My grandfather is the same way. Although he doesn't teach me much
about driving the combine, etc, (we live 90 miles apart so I'm not
there often), he sure does teach me a lot about the antique stuff.
In February, grandpa bought a 88 Oliver from someplace down in
Missouri. It turned out that I was there the Sunday after. Grandpa
started it up, and I sat on the fender and he and I rode around the
yard in 4th gear, just puttin. Then he said it was "My Turn" to drive
it. Grandpa taught me to drive a foot clutch, when dad taught me, but
failed, (that's a whole other story) hahaha.
Anyway, grandpa later explained to me that my great grandfather, (the
same one with the unstyled A) had a Oliver 88 and a Oliver Hart Par
70. He also explained that the reason that my Great Grandfather bought
the Hart Par 70 in 1935 (2 years before grandpa's time) was because he
had a team of horses, (two if I remember right) that died from some
sort of infection that winter. He had a choice of buying another team
of two horses or the tractor, each for $750. So he bought the tractor
instead.
This last weekend while I was out there, grandpa and me sat on the
porch for quite awhile and visited. He told me all about how he
remembers in 1948 going to the Oliver dealership in town and buying
the Oliver 88. He said that in 1954, great grandpa traded the 88 and
the Hart Par 70 in for an MTA diesel, because diesel was $0.05, and
gas was $0.25. He then went on to say that all of the other farmers
around the area looked at great grandpa like he was dumb for buying
such a big tractor, but grandpa said that great grandpa was glad that
he bought it.
It is really sad that most of my generation, (at least around here),
doesn't give a cat's rear about this kind of stuff. People like my
grandfather and others who remember this kind of stuff won't be around
forever.
Sorry for the long email, just thought I'd take the time to share that.
Take Care,
Tyler Juranek