[AT] lessons

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sun Jul 13 06:33:57 PDT 2014

Tyler, you need to do something I did. A couple years ago I handed my dad a
composition book and said start writing. He filled it with all the old
stories he could think of. I had heard every one multiple times, but
sometimes I wouldn't get the facts 100%. The older I get the harder it is to
remember everything, just too much stuff to process it all! This way I've
got a record to refer back to and to pass down. If he doesn't want to write,
you listen and write/type it out. One day you will be glad you did.

I wish we had more details on my grandfather. There are stories of him
cutting ice for an icehouse. Considering we are in the South, there is more
to it and climate change might be more than we think. Also tales of him
working at a sawmill down near Charlie Hills neck of the woods. The logs
were floated in down the river. The rivers here are too small for that.

In my forties I find myself telling the boys my farm stories from 30 years
ago, now I know I'm getting old!

John Hall