[AT] Growing Corn

Thomas Mehrkam tmehrkam at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 11 07:27:35 PDT 2014

Look at the bright side.

Pear and tomato fatten Squirrels are abundant. ;-}
Time to bring out the .22 rifle.

On Friday, July 11, 2014 7:32 AM, charlie hill <charliehill at embarqmail.com> wrote:

John we've got corn in places that is tasseled and the ear silks are turning
that isn't 4' high.  It's not entire fields, just the stressed areas of
fields
but all of it is suffering for water which amazes me because it seems like
it has rained every other day this spring and summer.  I guess just not
enough.

My tomato vines are full of fruit that is way smaller than it should be.
The vines
are nice and green and there are new blossoms but it's all sitting there
waiting
for rain and warm nights to fill out and ripen.  Then there are the
squirrels.  My
pear tree was overloaded with fruit to the point that it would had broken
branches
if the squirrels hadn't eaten EVERY SINGLE pear.  Now they have started on
my
tomatoes.   When I say every single pear I mean hundreds of pears.  Maybe
I'll get
a couple of good tomatoes out of 16 vines.

We did get a nice rain last night.

Charlie