[AT] , now JD

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Tue Jul 8 06:24:40 PDT 2014

Steve,  as I alluded to in my reply to Herb, there is reason to believe the
bike was
marketed with both name plates.    There was apparently a tie between the
two
companies.  This site
http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/history-triumph-motorcycle.html
indicates that BSA owned Triumph.  Read the history.  I found the reference
starting about 1968.
I didn't read all of it.  Also, here:
http://ianchadwick.com/motorcycles/triumph/time04.html

Understand that I know very little about motorcycles and nothing about BSA
or Triumph motorcycles.
I just have one very clear memory of standing at a specific spot that I
could take you to today, in 1968 or 69
and talking to a kid that I did not know.  There were 2 or 3 others standing
there looking at his new motorcycle.
I clearly remember it being a Triumph 44x something.  As in my first post I
said 441 or maybe 444.  I knew it wasn't 442
because that is an Olds Car.  There is absolutely no reason for me to
remember it as a Triumph when it was a BSA.
I have to believe that at some point that bike was marketed under both the
Triumph and BSA names.
The only other British bikes I ever knew anything about were
Nortons and that was just because the Honda dealer where my cousin bought
his bike also sold Norton.   To my knowledge
I've never actually seen a bike with a BSA nameplate on it.  My memory is
not infallible by any means and if I was familiar
with both brands I would easily admit that I could have them mixed up but
it's hard to confuse something you never knew
existed.  That would be akin to my memory of the time I cured cancer or got
the Nobel prize for world peace or invented the
Internet.  Hopefully I'm not that delusional.

Charlie