[AT] Growing Corn

John Slavin chaunceyjb at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 7 07:58:24 PDT 2014

Hello all:

Hope everyone had a happy and safe 4th.

Talking about the rain, the corn is really putting the water and the humid temps to good use!  I take pictures of our crops just to document for my far flung children how the crops are doing. I haven't lived on the farm since high school, and instead live about 20 miles away, but was at my sister's house for the 4th so took the opportunity to walk out into the corn field.   I couldn't believe it, the corn was near 7 foot tall.  I went back to my photo gallery and the last picture I took was on June 21 and the corn was a little less than knee high, which I'm approximating at 24 inches.  72"-24"=48" grown divided by 13 days =3.69 inches of growth per day.  I guess that's really not that unusual, but I was really surprised. My dad always used to say you can hear corn growing.  You can take a look at the difference here:

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A25oqs3qobklH

The young lady is my daughter Sydney.

John Slavin