[AT] JD 620 details

Ron Cook ron at lakeport-1.com
Fri Jul 4 00:03:08 PDT 2014

Dean,
     I suspect you are correct about the work Dean Vinson's 620
performed.  The first thing I noticed about it, other than the 620 on
the front, was the lack of wear at the steering shaft support. That
usually indicates low hours or long rows or stationary work. The
steering wheel is exceptional.  That tells me much time stored indoors.
Cab tractors have good plastic steering wheels and open station of the
same vintage usually do not.
     I have practically no time on a B or 50.  None, actually working.
Just pulling wagons around.  My experience was mostly the '48 A and '53
70.  I have the A that I wore out once.   The 70 that I spent my high
school years on is still on the family farm.  Used it today.  But it is
not in very good shape anymore.  It has been a loader tractor for 40
years.  I really liked that 70 with the exception of the darned high
speed gearing in reverse.  The A got a lower radiator tank water pump,
power block, automatic fuel shut-off, Delco distributor and Baker
Hydraulic valve installed in the very early fifties.  I think maybe 51
or 52.  As soon as that stuff was available anyway.  All done at the
Deere dealer.   It still has all that stuff and it works perfectly.  At
one time I thought the fuel shut-off had gone south and I bought an
overhaul kit from Deere for it.  Maybe 25 years ago.  Still have not
used it.  There was just a piece of junk between the seat and the seal.
A few years ago I would have used that kit if I could find it, as the
seal finally split.  I stuck an aviation o-ring on there to get by with
and it is still on duty.
     I won't be buying any tractor either, unless I have work for it.
They all have to earn their keep one way or another.  No hangar queens
here.  They all got to work at least a little.  I would really like a
single row cultivating outfit like a 40S. but so far I have to be happy
with a two-row on my '46 A.
Ron Cook
Salix, IA