[AT] Slightly OT Tractors and technology

David Bruce davidbruce at yadtel.net
Wed Jul 2 00:42:08 PDT 2014

For a number of reasons I'm wedded to the desktop form factor so I have
opted away from laptops and now tablets but I can see their utility in
other settings.  I do have an Android based tablet which serves me well
on the rare occasions when I travel - this would have been very nice
back in the day when I left home early Monday morning and returned late
Friday night.

My approach to buying a computer has not changed over the last decade. I
do not buy the latest and greatest rather the generation just prior.
Doing that I can usually get near ten years of service from a system. I
do a little video editing, more photo editing, and as the technology has
matured quite a bit of streaming video. With the desktop form factor I
can add hardware to make each of these easier to accomplish.
For my mom (at 82 and now in a nursing home) I always bought off lease
desktop machines. The latest is a Win 7 based HP machine that did
everything she needed but it would not meet all my needs. Buying off
lease "business" models also means I did not get all the crapware like
is installed on a typical consumer oriented machine.

David
NW NC