[AT] Winco generator question

Howard Fleming hfleming at moosebird.net
Mon Jan 20 14:53:18 PST 2014

Since some of you on this list work on generators, I need some help with
a Winco PTO generator that I have.

I was setting it up for use last week (power was out again).  The unit
was turning, but not at 540 rpms, and was not hooked up to the transfer
switch yet.

I got a yellowish flash out of the front of the unit, the tractor when
under load briefly, and then no output.

I have checked the brushes (all appear good), and checked the field
coils (~ 14 ohms with the coils in series (disconnected), and was not
grounded to the case that I could tell.

Anything else I should look at, is it worth spending any money on the
unit to have a local shop look at it, or should I just purchase a
replacement unit?  The generator was built in 1962.

Pictures of the generator are at
http://www.moosebird.net/generator/index.html

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Howard