[AT] Tractor batteries

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sat Jan 18 17:22:49 PST 2014

On 1/17/2014 2:47 PM, Charlie V wrote:
> As I recall from my early days of auto training, Ford was the main brand
> with a positive ground.  GM certainly and I think Chrysler products ( not
> sure ) were typically negative ground.
Charlie, I grew up thinking every thing was 6 volt, positive ground
since we had Fords and Cockshutt tractor. I worked with a neighbour's
Dodge pickup but can't recall anything about the polarity on that one.
My JD AR is 12 volt positive ground. I had to mark it on the inside of
the battery case lids as I could never remember. It took two six volts
to make 12. I have simplified things somewhat by just using one 12 volt
battery to start it.
I have a Cockshutt 40 that still has the original 6 volt positive ground
and a Cockshutt 50 converted to 12 volt negative ground. Difference?
Well the 50 starter cranks a lot faster than the 40 but other than that,
nothing.

Ralph in Sask.