[AT] Tractor batteries

Charlie V 1cdevill at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 12:47:18 PST 2014

As I recall from my early days of auto training, Ford was the main brand
with a positive ground.  GM certainly and I think Chrysler products ( not
sure ) were typically negative ground.  GM and Mopar mechanics usually
loved to say that those d at xx Fords were backwards, and visa versa with the
Ford mechanics.  I have no idea why each was set up as it was set up as
they were.  I think I do recall hearing the statement that positive ground
was the natural direction for DC current to flow, or at least some thought
that.  I do not recall any of the spark plug or unusual corrosion problems
previously mentioned even though I owned and drove several of the positive
grounded vehicles.  Now as far as farm machinery:  Do not know how most
were wired except of course Ford tractors were + ground because they were
Fords.  All of our tractors were totally unconflicted that way.  They had
no batteries, only a crank that was put on the front and turned for
starting.

Charlie V.