[AT] Bin fishing...

Herb Metz metz-h.b at comcast.net
Sat Jan 11 08:26:40 PST 2014

This same(?) u-tube was around 6 or 8 months ago, and was (supposedly) shot
where Columbia river enters into Pacific.  Regardless of when and where most
commercial fishing is a tough, and many times, a dangerous way of making a
living.  I have not been there and done that but have experienced quite
similar situations; five weeks on a destroyer in North Atlantic, on duty on
the bridge when we did several rolls of 45 degrees or more (at which time it
is easier to walk up the wall than it is to walk up the floor).  And at
other times the bow would come out of the water so high that when it came
down and hit the ocean water it just smacked very loud and caused huge
shuddering vibrations traveling throughout the ship. I found these
vibrations more concerning than the 45 degree rolls.   We were doing wartime
training exercises with couple dozen ships so did not have the option of
course or speed.
Later on went through two separate hurricanes where we had option of course
and speed; no big concerns.  This was 1954-55, long before TV having todays
good radar.