[AT] OT: trailer tire mounting

Will Powell william.neff.powell at comcast.net
Mon Jan 6 04:00:58 PST 2014

I've done a lot of tire work by hand.

A few tricks that I've leaned from my grandfather and father over the years along with what I have learned...

Breaking beads:

- Up at our cabin when  a bead breaker was not available we would drive over them after the air was let out. Use the drive wheel of your car or truck. Don't drive over the rim, but on the tire  as close to the rim as you can get.

- On the small tractor tires I use my large vise. I put a piece of plywood on one side and let the jaw of the vice pop in the bead.

- Once I had to cut a circular hole in the plywood to get a stubborn ATV tire off.      Clamped a plywood back  and the circle at the top with a large c-clamp to hold the cirle on the rim, the   vise at the bottom of the plywoods . The piece with the hole stayed around the rim and the vice jaw could not slip off.

Putting tires on:

- As mentioned in one of the earlier posts, when working with every  tire, always make sure the oppisite side is down in the center groove while working the tire on the rim.  Varied tire irons also help, but screwdrivers always somehow work their way into the project.

- Dish soap does help.

Setting the bead:

- For getting the tire on the bead I like to first use a tie down strap clamp. I've also used a come along, a piece of roap twisted by a block of wood. Lots of air pressue helps. Take the shrader valve out so you can blow in the air fast, then, after its on the bead put the shrader valve back in and inflate to pressue. .

- Ether does work, but use at your own risk.  A little spurt of ether and a match on the end of a long pole, pop, bead sealed. I like to do that with the shrader valve out.

- soapy water does help.