[AT] Winter storm and cold

Herb Metz metz-h.b at comcast.net
Mon Jan 6 07:45:22 PST 2014

Yes, I can remember feeding the cattle (daily) when we had a lot of cold,
windy, Midwest weather and snow. Start 49 Chev pickup, keep it running,
worry about breaking floor shift lever when shifting into low (some farmers
changed to lighter weight trans oil during winter, Dad didn't do that),
watch where you are driving because having chains on only reduced your
chances of getting stuck in deeper snow, drive along silo, climb up silo
steps (inside the chute), wind was blowing straight up that chute, stick
silage fork into frozen silage, break it loose, no problem after first
couple forks full, because silage was not frozen that thoroughly, throw
silage down the chute and turn around immediately because wind would blow
some of the silage back up the chute and through the open door and into your
face. Keep repeating. Then drive out to feed bunks and unload and enjoy
watching the cattle eat.
Then go over to the cattle (water) tank and use axe to brake/cut ice in tank
and pitchfork to remove larger ice chunks. Water tank heaters were
relatively new and expensive and not always trouble-free.
Only then could you appreciate what you were doing. We tend to forget that
confined domesticated animals are certainly at our mercy.
Herb(GA)