[AT] OT- Briggs and Stratton Electric Starter

Cecil R Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Mon Feb 10 21:54:15 PST 2014

Try connecting the hot side of the battery direct to the starter
terminal, or I do this a lot...  I use the handles on my pliers to short
across the solenoid battery and starter terminals.  It gets a spark, but
if the starter moves then I know it is a solenoid problem.  Those small
solenoids go bad easily.   Your first problem is the Briggs & Stratton
Brand.   I have worked on them since I was 10 yrs old and the ones made
since they stopped putting points in them are just boat anchors.   I
bought a brand new Pacer pump with one and built a fire trailer rig.   A
year later I had a fire and lost a valuable storage trailer because the
Briggs Engine would not fire due to the magnets on the flywheel getting
rusty.  A very thin coating of rust will stop that pointless armature
from generating spark.  It will act like a carburetor problem, but after
sanding the magnets and the armature and adjusting, it will have fire
and run.   The next morning after the dew has dried it will not run
unless you sand the magnets.

Therefore, I will not have a late model Briggs to work with.  I have
replaced several engines this past year with the Harbor Freight
"Chondas" and had great service.

Just my $0.02

Cecil in OKla

On 2/10/2014 11:13 PM, Mogrits wrote:
> Thanks, Cecil. I wondered about the oil switch but I have spark when
> pulling the rope. I think the oil shutdown would have stopped that spark. I
> have some fuel line/pump issues related to it's age, even though it sat
> drained of fuel, I have to address before I can get back to the electric
> start issue I originally posted about. I know I don't have a shorted
> battery because I just put a good, brand new battery in it. For this storm
> I may just get the fuel issue solved and crank it with a drill.
>
> Thanks again
>
> Warren
>

> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 11:37 PM, Cecil R Bearden <crbearden at copper.net>wrote:
>
>> I would think that  it would have a low oil shutdown switch.   It would
>> cut the ignition and may be the source of your problem.  It shorts to
>> ground to actuate.  Be sure you do not have any wate rin the oil from
>> condensation.
>>
>> Cecil in OKla
>>

>> On 2/10/2014 7:17 PM, Mogrits wrote:
>>> Again I ask the list for help. We are supposed to get 6-8 inches of snow
>>> and some ice and it's a given the power will go out under those
>> conditions.
>>> I have a 10,000 watt northstar generator with a 16hp Briggs twin with
>>> electric start that hasn't been run in a year or maybe more. I drained
>> the
>>> gas so do not have a fuel issue.
>>>
>>> I noticed the battery was 7 yrs old when I went to prep it this morning
>> and
>>> hooked up a charger to no avail. I hooked up jumper cables from my truck
>>> and the key still brought no action or sound. I bought a new battery and
>>> installed it and the key still causes nothing from the starter. The
>> starter
>>> gear is visible and turns freely. does anyone know of a good website with
>>> Briggs info or have an idea of how to troubleshoot the electrical
>>> starter/run circuit? Pulling the rope is no easy job on a 16hp twin and
>> it
>>> isn't firing anyway which makes me think something may be going on to
>> kill
>>> the ignition. I see no evidence of rodent or any other damage to the
>> wiring.
>>> Thanks
>>> Warren