[AT] OT- Briggs and Stratton Electric Starter

Mogrits mogrits at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 17:17:26 PST 2014

Again I ask the list for help. We are supposed to get 6-8 inches of snow
and some ice and it's a given the power will go out under those conditions.
I have a 10,000 watt northstar generator with a 16hp Briggs twin with
electric start that hasn't been run in a year or maybe more. I drained the
gas so do not have a fuel issue.

I noticed the battery was 7 yrs old when I went to prep it this morning and
hooked up a charger to no avail. I hooked up jumper cables from my truck
and the key still brought no action or sound. I bought a new battery and
installed it and the key still causes nothing from the starter. The starter
gear is visible and turns freely. does anyone know of a good website with
Briggs info or have an idea of how to troubleshoot the electrical
starter/run circuit? Pulling the rope is no easy job on a 16hp twin and it
isn't firing anyway which makes me think something may be going on to kill
the ignition. I see no evidence of rodent or any other damage to the wiring.

Thanks
Warren