[AT] test Now cold and tractor cabs

Ivan ivancou at windstream.net
Sun Feb 9 17:32:18 PST 2014

On 2/9/2014 3:01 PM, Greg Hass wrote:
> I live near a place called Bad Axe, Michigan, 48413. It's in the middle
> of Michigans thumb or about 95 mile north-northeast of Detroit. I'm 66
> and remember one winter that was probably as bad or maybe worse but it
> is hard to judge as I was 45 years or so younger then and I could do
> things a lot easier then. Unfortunately, it now takes me 4 hours to do
> what I did in 30 minutes when I was 25.  I used to wonder why retired
> people always complained about being so busy; well now I know the
> answer, it takes all day to get anything done.  One of the biggest
> problems, the same as many people have, has been the extreme cost of
> heat. I should be happy that, even though our house is almost 100 years
> old, we have a good basement and frozen pipes have not been an issue.
> Around here, it is hard to get any new plumbing work done as plumbers
> cannot even keep up with broken furnaces and frozen pipes. Also as I
> said before I no longer have livestock, but when I did, every cold snap
> meant all day thawing pipes and waterers (even though they were heated ,
> the wind chill would still freeze them). Also would spend hours chopping
> frozen silage and trying to keep silo unloaders running. To add insult
> to injury, it could also take a couple of hours chopping frozen manure
> to get the gutter cleaner running in the hog barn. Well, all this cold
> weather talk is making me depressed so I think I will go eat lunch,
> something I am good at and it shows.
> Greg Hass
Greg , close to the same time frame we moved to K I  Sawyer and spent
our first winter there in a trailer .  That year it was  minus something
for 30 days straight .  1962 .        I use a IH 4125 skid loader to
plow snow  . This year I broke down and bought sheets of plexiglass and
fastened it to the expanded metal with plastic ties , just the heat
coming off the hydraulic drives is a big difference even though its not
totally sealed .   Ivan