[AT] 7030 hydraulics

Dennis Johnson moscowengnr at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 9 18:06:24 PST 2014

In reading posts about overheating, I an not convinced that filters cause overheating. Suction filter can cause cavitation problems that tear up systems, but heat is generally not an issue.
Most heat problems are caused by 2 things
1 - doing more WORK than the system was designed to cool
2 - dumping fluid across a relief valve or some similar valve.
Only solution to problem #1 is either to do less hydraulic work, or to redesign the system somehow to handle the increased cooling needs. Fixes can include adding a cooler, increasing tank size, or possibly changing something like a motor to reduce the system pressure.
Solutions to problem #2 is fixing valves, or changing the circuit. If you have closed circuit valves operating with a fix displacement pump, you just make heat.

About the filters, years back I was working on various hydraulic systems, and after working with Parker (Denison) engineers, I was convinced that for most systems suction filters cause more problems than they solve. A course strainer can work to keep rocks and rags out of pumps, but a better solution is not to allow rocks and rags in the tank.

Thanks
Dennis
Sent from my iPad