[AT] Merry Christmas

Richard Walker richardwalker at pobox.com
Thu Dec 25 12:50:10 PST 2014

A very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from out here on the left coast.

Have mostly lurked recently, but am currently using my old equipment
assisting neighbors clean up from mud slides.  So thought you guys might
find this interesting.  A brush fire in 2013 burned the wilderness
foothill canyon and its steep hillsides to our west, and now every time
it rains there are major problems as water, mud and debris rush out of
the canyon mouth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4496_nd9ig

Judy and I live on higher ground and are OK, but some folks live
directly in the line of flow.  Note our neighbor's steel shed at 0.42
seconds in (intact in March after the first mud flow) and then again at
3:00 minutes in (destroyed, taken two weeks ago).  A flash flood of mud
and water roaring down out of the canyon slammed into its side and
ruined it.

We've unfortunately lost quite a few of the Cub owners who used to
regularly post, either from passing away or through leaving ATIS. While
operating my old LowBoy with a box scraper and rear blade, I couldn't
help thinking of guys like Mike Sloane, Jim Becker, Bob Brooks, Farmer,
George Willer, and others.  Thanks, Spencer, you sure started a good
thing - was it back in '94 that ATIS first originated using the Forsyth
County server?

-  Richard

Richard and Judy Walker
Monrovia, California