[AT] Good tractor day

Herb Metz metz-h.b at comcast.net
Fri Dec 5 20:13:22 PST 2014

Dean,
It is enjoyable for us friends to observe you living your dreams.

Sent: Friday, December 05, 2014 1:53 PM
To: 'Antique tractor email discussion group'
Subject: [AT] Good tractor day

http://www.vinsonfarm.net/photos/cutting_osage_20141205.jpg

Last summer I'd discovered two nice and very good-sized walnut trees hidden
back in the dense hedgerow of osage orange trees across from the orchard,
and had begun cutting back the osage around one of the walnuts to give it
some breathing room.  Today I cut back some more, kept a little as firewood
but dragged most of it onto a burn pile.   Needed the Super M to haul the
wagon for the firewood and chainsaw and log chain and such.

While out there I discovered some prior owner had long ago cut a bunch of
osage wood up into fireplace-sized logs but just left them piled up back
under the canopy of branches, and although the wood itself doesn't hardly
rot the pile had gradually turned into a solid mound of dirt with logs
embedded in it, evidently many years' work of squirrels and chipmunks and
rotted leaves and whatnot.  I pried out as much of the wood as I could by
hand but that still left a big uneven mound with no doubt more logs beneath
it, so I brought the 620 and rear blade out.  That made short work of the
mound and kicked up the remaining logs so I could easily toss them over onto
the fire.

A cold rain chased me inside by around noon, but it was good to get that
area opened up a little and to let those fine old machines out of the barn.
Nice morning indeed.

Dean Vinson
Saint Paris, Ohio