[AT] McCormick plow

Ron Cook ron at lakeport-1.com
Tue Aug 19 08:37:44 PDT 2014

Charlie,
     Yep.  Pretty much the same here except not on an Allis.  This plow
is from a straight A, so it could be from the forties, and probably is.
It is very rusty and I would guess has not been used for 30 years.  I am
also pretty sure it was discarded because it is plumb worn out.  Must
have been used on a very poor farm, mostly gravel.  Newer plows use
replaceable shins as it is a wear area as well as the share and
landsides.  The landside on this one is useable, but the whole rest of
the thing is really shot.  I would like to get it operational again.
     I have no experience with a one-bottom plow.   My experience is
with two-bottom and mostly three-bottom with a little five bottom. I
always like moldboard plowing, but I think I would have not liked it if
I had to face our fields doing one furrow at a time.  When we were
plowing, there was always more than one outfit it the field, sometimes
three.  Spring plowing is out in this part of the world, so all had to
be done in the fall.  Starting with oats stubble/clover in august and
ending with corn stalk ground hopefully before much freezing.  We would
have needed a whole fleet of one bottom units to get it done.

Ron Cook
Salix, IA