[AT] Switching from non-detergent to detergent oil

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Wed Aug 13 10:30:50 PDT 2014

This is a rule of thumb I have used over the years of working with old and historically neglected
engines. If I find there is sludge settled in the engine crankcase I don't use detergent oil until I
have manually cleaned up as much of the sludge as physically possible.  The flush the crankcase
several times with kerosene and or Diesel Fuel.  Then if I am fairly confident that I have removed the
potentially large particles of sludge I then run the engine with Detergent oil and a new filter, if
used, for a short time making sure I get the engine up to normal operating temperature for a
reasonable period of time. Then again inspecting the crankcase if I find it to be clean I then drain
the detergent oil and change filter and then proceed with detergent oil and a new filter.   Following
this procedure I have never had any oil pressure line plug up.   In many of the JD engines I've worked
on the inside of the crankcase can be just horribly filled with sludge and the interior totally black.
Following this procedure I've seen the interior turn a bright yellow and appear so clean one could eat
off of it.  Detergent oil is amazing.

Dean VP
Snohomish, WA

They say necessity is the mother of invention.
Don't know who the father is, probably remorse.
Red Green