[AT] Switching from non-detergent to detergent oil

Carl Gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Wed Aug 13 05:24:03 PDT 2014

In the words often similarly repeated on the old "Laugh-in" comedy show ---

Here comes the sludge, here comes the sludge;  I'm not fooling 'cus here it
comes!

Using detergent oil will definitely loosen any crud that is in the crankcase
and possibly plug some important oil passages.  -- are there oil passages on
a splash oiled Briggs?  I can't remember.

Probably get away with it if you change the oil a second time really
quickly - say an hour or two, but that is not a guarantee.  Should see some
really chunky stuff come out on the first change after using detergent type
oil.

I say this because my father ruined a 1953 ford F-100 engine when he bought
it not realizing it had only non-detergent oil in it until then.
Carl