[AT] update on jd 70 diesel

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Sat Apr 26 12:57:55 PDT 2014

Greg,

Thanks for the additional info. I'll take a WAG at what the mechanic might
be saying. I need to study the 70 D Parts Catalog to verify this so right
now it nothing more than a guess. The oil pump does pump oil to the right
Main Bearing housing which is behind the clutch and the reduction gear
cover. Therefore, if there is a severe leak at that main bearing housing I
suspect it is possible to have oil pumped into the reduction gear housing
and then drain into the transmission chamber. There are a couple data points
that don't add up though. Upon filling the crankcase with oil adequate oil
pressure was noted for a short period of time.  It would seem to me that
having so much oil disappear so fast that the leak would have to be fairly
large and not allow oil pressure to build up.  The other data point that
doesn't compute is that apparently the crankcase has been pumped empty at
least twice, for at least a total of 6 gallons of oil, the transmission
chamber must be overflowing.  I look forward to hearing what the end
diagnosis is. BTW, I've never heard of this phenomenon on any of the
horizontal JD Two Cylinders before, of any fuel type.  First time for
everything.

Dean VP
Snohomish, WA 98290

" . . . The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the
blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure . . . " Jefferson