[AT] update on jd 70 diesel

Greg Hass ghass at m3isp.com
Fri Apr 25 20:11:59 PDT 2014

First off on the oil, I was  probably to general on the amount we put
in. My brother was pouring from a 5 gallon pail so when he said 5 quarts
of oil it could have been 5 or 15 quarts, who knows. No one was home but
the guy he bought it from was out today. He put some more oil in it and
started it, and same as before, it was gone in a couple of minutes. He
tried to check the transmission but was unable to get the plug out with
the wrenches he had. We tried last night with channel locks but also
couldn't get the plug out. I tried to get my brother to go over to the
shed tonight with the right wrenches but he said he stopped payment on
the check and it was going to be the dealers problem to fix it. Never
mind that it is a 50 year old tractor and you can't expect it to be
perfect although this is a serious problem. I could right a book about
my brothers way of thinking, but I wouldn't go there. Anyway, the dealer
called a mechanic that used to work for him in another town but is now
on his own. What I say now has went from the mechanic to the dealer, to
my brother, to me, and now to the list so I can't say how accurate it
is. I don't quite understand,but the mechanic said according to the book
the oil goes from the pump to some main seal and then to the engine and
if the seal is bad it will pump it into the transmission or the rear
end. What I don't get is why would there be that kind of a seal in
between if it goes bad why would all the engine oil get pumped out of
the crankcase. I have seen many seals go bad in my lifetime ; but I have
never had one that would let oil disappear that fast, so I must be
missing something. As it now stands, the dealer is going to pick up the
tractor and haul it to that mechanic some 70 miles away and have him see
what he can  find and just go from their.
            Greg Hass