[AT] jd 70 diesel tractor

Tyler Juranek tylerpolkaman at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 15:17:18 PDT 2014

Greg,
 Even if it was sold as is, and the dealer says he stands behind what
he sells, I'd call the dealer.
 Did the oil go on the floor?
 I wonder if the tractor is out of time?
 Did the guy put new wires or anything in the distributer?
 Good luck!

On 4/25/14, Greg Hass <ghass at m3isp.com> wrote:
> Yesterday my brother bought a John Deere 70 diesel tractor with pony
> start. He drove it home the 4 miles while I followed. When I drove up he
> was putting it in the shed. It didn't quite sound right to me but I
> thought it might be the different sound caused by being under the roof.
> Then he said that most of the trip it didn't have any oil pressure but
> he thought the gauges didn't work. I said that that type of gauge almost
> never gave trouble; copper tube to the gauge, not electrical. We checked
> the oil level and it appeared empty; not good. We put in 5 or so quarts
> to the full mark and restarted the engine. The oil pressure rose right
> to the top but soon started to drop and within less than 2 minutes was
> back to zero.  We shut it off and checked the oil again; it was
> completely empty with no sign of where it went. I thought maybe we
> should try more oil again, but by this time my brother wanted nothing to
> do with it. He did call a guy in the 2 cylinder club who is considered
> to be knowledgeable and all he could think of was a cracked block;
> however there appears to be no oil in the water or water in the oil.
> What puzzles me is where could 5 quarts of oil go to in less than 2
> minutes? Also, it sounds like it is not firing on both cylinders and has
> another funny sound like a leaking valve. Over two days when he was
> looking at it they started it at least 6 times and drove it back and
> forth and it ran perfect. The reason for starting it so much was that
> earlier a young guy who said he knew all about these tractors had tried
> to start it without the dealer present. Well, he turned the dash mounted
> fuel valve the wrong way and turned it so tight that when he went to
> turn it back it twisted off the valve.  In the process of fixing the
> valve some dirt must have gotten in and the pony motor wasn't getting
> enough gas to run right. After getting the gas problem fixed they
> started the tractor several times to make sure it was alright. As I
> said, at that time it started and ran perfect. It has good paint, good
> tires,wide front,power steering but no 3 pt. The person that traded it
> said on the phone the the only thing wrong when traded was a small leak
> in a steel hydraulic line, which we had already noticed. The dealer said
> he always stands behind what he sells, but he did put "as is" on the
> bill so we wouldn't go there at this time. It seemed like a good
> tractor, but with this problem it's worthless. Any ideas from the list?
>                                Greg Hass

Check out my youtube channel, and spread the word!
http://www.youtube.com/tylerthetechy/