[AT] Simple lessons

Cecil R Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Fri Apr 11 07:25:28 PDT 2014

When I was 12, Dad bought me my first tractor, a 9N ford that needed an
overhaul.  I drove it from the Far East side of OKC to the then West
side of OKC.  Through the center of OKC. About 35 miles.  It was about
40 deg with a 20mph N wind.  (typical spring weather in OK) I would duck
down in the seat to get the engine heat.  We had to stop about 6 miles
from the beginning to replace spark plugs and pour in 2 quarts of oil.
Back then we had TG&Y stores, An OKlahoma Company, sort of the beginning
Wal Marts, that had everything.  We bought spark plugs and a wrench to
change them and doubled the road speed from 5 to 10 mph.  It took 5
hours to get home with it.   I spent the summer overhauling it, The
first time out in the field, it broke a sleeve.  I also found out how
underpowered it was compared to the MF 50 diesel we had. I repaired the
sleeve, and promptly traded it for a WD Allis.  Then sold the Allis and
bought a MF 85 on Propane.  Then bought an MF 85 Diesel.  Sold the
Diesel and b ought an 1850 Oliver diesel.  Now there was a real tractor!!!

Cecil in OKla