[AT] narrow vs. wide front tractors

Greg Hass ghass at m3isp.com
Thu Apr 3 19:16:04 PDT 2014

Since things are a little slow on the list I will ask something that has
bothered me for quite some time. I suspect the answer is somewhat
regional, but here goes. First of all, this applies to older tractors;
but why do some areas lean heavily to narrow fronts and others to wide
fronts? In our area of Michigan, IH starting with the late letter series
and JD starting with the early numbered series, almost everyone bought
wide fronts; whereas in other areas,I'm thinking maybe Indiana, people
stayed with narrow fronts. As an example, google "plowing of the past
1962" and you will see what I mean. In this video, the sound does not
start for 30 seconds. Almost every tractor is narrow front, although a
town is mentioned, I am not sure what state the video was in. I have
driven both types and I personally hate narrow fronts. When Farmer was
on the list, I know he said his 4010 or 4020, I forget which, had a
narrow front. So my question is, why do certain areas seem to favor one
or the other, and also those of you on this list, why do you prefer one
over the other?
                 Greg Hass