[Farmall] 53 Chevy pickup

E. John Puckett ejpuckett at centurytel.net
Sun Sep 1 11:12:49 PDT 2013

You need a voltmeter.  Connect it across the battery terminals and check
the voltage while cranking the engine.  6 volts system should be a
minimum of 4.5 to 5 volts while cranking.  Then do the same check at the
starter.  Voltage should be the same.  if there is any difference to
amount to anything you will need to run it down, plus, as has been
mentioned, the ground is critical, it also has to carry the current.
If I remember correctly a 53 would have the battery under the
floorboard, and a starter pedal on the floor.  those are long cables,
and if they are original the copper may have deteriorated to the point
it will not carry the higher current required to start a hot engine.
Do not overlook the starter pedal connection either.