[AT] PTO shaft question

Mike meulenms at gmx.com
Sun Sep 29 16:10:07 PDT 2013

I bought a used Worksaver post hole digger at an auction the other day,
after a closer examination of the unit, it was clear the u-joints in the
PTO shaft are shot, the needle bearings are gone, and the ends are just
rattling around in the caps. It has a shear bolt that is used between
the shaft and the gearbox, but it also has a roll pin that is in a blind
hole pinning the shaft to the gearbox. The only way I can figure out how
to remove it would be to drill out the pin. Any thoughts? Also, from
anyone's past experience, it is cheaper to just replace the PTO shaft or
to have new u-joints pressed in. I have no idea what size they are.
Thanks for any input.

Mike M