[AT] 24 volt Deere's

Al Walker alwalker at gvtel.com
Tue Oct 29 20:52:53 PDT 2013

My 1961 4010 has that battery set up.  Never have been positively impressed
by it.  Batteries don't last long for me either.  I've thought about
converting to a straight 12 volt system, but no one seems to give those
starters or generaters away inexpensively.  The kits I've seen are in the
$750 range.  I can buy a few batteries for that amount.

Al in NW MN

Anyone here have experience with Deere tractors that cranked on 24 volts and
run on 12? Dad’s 1968 4020 diesel is this way,  the ‘69 we used to have was
not. I’ve never heard anything good about this electrical system setup, and
we have had way too much trouble with batteries in this tractor for the past
45 years. I just replaced one of them, it was slightly over 3 years old. I
bought a service manual a while back so I decided to start reading up on the
electrical system. The tractor cranks on 24 volts and then runs on 2
separate 12 volt systems. Apparently Deere knew this was a worrisome system,
as it begins to trouble shoot why one battery may be charged and the other
one not. It gives remedies such as adding a bulb to pull one battery down,
adjusting the regulator output, and switching sides with the batteries
occasionally. I was told many years ago we should just convert it over to a
later style electrical system, but stubborn pride has caused us to keep it
original. Anyone else ever dealt with one of these systems and tried Deere's
tricks to maintain longer battery life?  When the field work ends for the
year I plan on checking/adjusting the regulator.