[AT] OT: Truck USDOT number

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Sat Oct 19 14:42:29 PDT 2013

Jeff & Ginny Pomije wrote:
> One other interesting part is the definition of 'Commercial'.  For
> example, say my buddy wants to buy a tractor from a guy across the state
> line.  He does not have a vehicle large enough to haul the tractor home
> so he asks me if I'll do it and he'll pay my gas.  The paying my gas or
> any exchange of money makes it a commercial trip.  I would need a DOT
> number and everything that goes along with it to stay legal.
>
> Jeff Pomije

Many states go one step farther than that.

Say I meet you at the NC/SC border and pick up an engine. I'm doing it
as a favor to a friend because I'm there. I'm not getting any money or
anything else. However you were paid to bring it to the meeting place.

NC considers that a commercial load because part of the trip to deliver
it was paid!!

NY does the same thing.

--
Steve W.