[AT] Flat Belt Implements 101

David Rotigel rotigel at me.com
Wed Oct 2 19:19:42 PDT 2013

Hi Al,
On Oct 2, 2013, at 9:41 PM, Al Jones <farmallsupera at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I recently acquired a #6 IH hammer mill in pretty good shape.
>
> These mills are driven by a long, flat belt. I"ve never run anything with a belt pulley before, so I"d like some input from those who have been there and done that. My plan is to demonstrate it at shows. Here"s what I "think" I know:
>
> 1. Long belts stay on better if they run slack
	Some "slack" is necessary, but too much is not good. The amount depends on how long the belt is. (A foot drop in 20 feet will be OK.)

> 2. Everything has to be lined up just right.
	Correct

> 3. You have to put belt dressing on the belt
	No, belt dressing is not really necessary if the belt is properly sized and the pullys are smooth. On the other hand, dressing probably will not hurt anything unless you get your hand between the belt and the pulley.

> 4. It is cooler than heck watching a belt driven machine run.
	YES!

> That"s about it. It looks like (I have not measured the pulley) I need a 6" wide belt. Looks like there are plenty of different lengths on Ebay. How long a belt should I look for? Basically, I need a "belts for dummies" lesson.
	Flat belts can be made (on the spot) any length you want. They are put together with "lacing". Set the mill and the tractor the distance you want between the two and then run a string/rope around both pullys. Then measure the length of the rope (not the total length, but only the distance between where you started and where the rope came together.) Several feet one way or the other can easily be compesensated for by moving the tractor or the mill.

> I plan on running it with a smaller tractor like a Farmall Super A. (I don"t plan to crowd it too much) Does the size tractor I use help determine the length/type of belt?
	Tractor size has no relationship to belt length. If your Super A is 15-20 feet away from the hammer mill (pully to pully) you will be OK. (+ or - 5 feet will not effect anything.