[AT] OT: Truck USDOT number

Tom tmartin at xtra.co.nz
Fri Oct 18 15:29:00 PDT 2013

Curiosity lead to the site FMCSA where it said:

"Companies that operate commercial vehicles transporting passengers or
hauling cargo in interstate commerce must be registered with the FMCSA
and must have a USDOT Number. Also, commercial intrastate hazardous
materials carriers who haul quantities requiring a safety permit must
register for a USDOT Number. The USDOT Number serves as a unique
identifier when collecting and monitoring a company's safety information
 acquired during audits, compliance reviews, crash investigations, and
inspections."

You say you're not licensed for interstate so why the DOT #? Do you haul hazardous materials in bulk?

Tom