[AT] Drill bits

Will Powell william.neff.powell at comcast.net
Tue Oct 15 04:07:08 PDT 2013

I have a Drill doctor. Love it. Takes a little bit of time to get used to but that little diamond encrusted wheel really sharpens the drills. Haven't had it out for a while, I bought the one that does up to 3/4". It's great to have when I'm in the middle of a project and a drill gets dull. I just pull the case off the shelf, set it up, and in about 10 minutes I have a sharp drill.

It's a simply built machine. Takes some getting used to. The key to it is the cammed  insert that holds the drills. You need to make sure the insert has chucked your drill correctly.  The chuck is tightened by hand. The side of the machine is the alignment hole, loosen the chuck, push a button to pull apart alignment guides, push the drill in, let the alignment guides set the angle, tighten the chuck.

You  push the insert into the sharpening hole and turn it. When it turns in the hole the cam rolls the end of the drill around on the grinding wheel so that the cutting edge is higher than the metal behind it. You can adjust the angle of your point and also do a back cut on the tip. If you have a really buggered drill you need to re-chuck as the tip gets ground down, but that's easy...

The larger the drill the longer it takes. Then again, the large drills I've recovered were from an auction and they were sharpened by hand.. Took some time to rehab them to perfection. If the drills are busted or really bad I will grind by hand first on a large grinder then finish them on the drill dr.

I've seen commercial sharpeners at the Paradise PA auction many times. Looked like a lot of hardware to do exactly what the drill doctor does.  I would hate to set that up if I needed to sharpen a drill in the middle of a project...

My only negative comment on the drill doctor is the electrical cord is stiff, but I can live with that.

Regards,

Will

Southeastern, PA