[AT] Flat Belt Implements 101

rlgoss at twc.com rlgoss at twc.com
Wed Oct 2 20:52:45 PDT 2013

Alligator is right on the brand, John. I had a whole box of those strips that I picked up at the Arden tractor show in 2010.  I sold the whole box along with a 1/4' X 6" solid leather belt 24 feet long to a Hit 'n Miss collector at Thresherman's Park last year.

Larry

---- jtchall at nc.rr.com wrote:
> If the belt is too slack you can and will throw it off.  I don't like to see
them start waving either.
We use dressing sometimes if the belt is under heavy load and running on
steel faced pulleys.
I like longer belts myself. Ask around if anyone in your club has a Clipper
belt lacer. Lacing comes in 2 styles that I am aware of. The first is for
use in a Clipper belt lacer. The lacing comes in various sizes, we normally
use 3, 4 and 5. There is also a style that you hammer together (I believe
one of the brands was Alligator). I've never put in any of that style, got a
couple sticks here somewhere that were for repairing the belts on a Hawk
tobacco looper I think. I don't think it is quite as preferred for high
speed applications.

Some applications require you to twist the belt to get the machine turning
in the right direction.

If you want to get fancy, google a mobious (I think that is the right term)
strip and put your belt together this way--it wears all sides of the
belt---we never have.

I've only got one endless belt, we use it to pull the thresher or silage
cutter.

It’s a heck of a lot more fun listening to a tractor engine under full load
on the belt than in a tractor pull.

John Hall