[AT] OT - Question about chain

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Tue Nov 26 15:55:16 PST 2013

Last year my neighbors wife decided to try and drive her Cadillac through
the
front yard because her driveway was blocked.  She buried all four wheels
down
to the frame.  I hooked a piece of 1/4" chain to the Caddy and to my truck
which I put in 4 WD low range.  I pulled the chain in two (probably at a bad
link
but it broke just the same).  Then I hooked a nylon strap in place of the
chain
and pulled the car out.  Most Nylon straps are rated atleast 5000 lbs.  I
agree
that 5/16 grade 70 is a much better choice but it's more expensive than the
straps
usually.  Back in the day, when I hauled logs for a living, one mill would
allow
us to use 1/4" chain to chain up the loads but they mostly bought pulp wood
with
relatively small butts.  The other mill (or company rather) dealt in much
larger timber
and they required 5/16.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Charlie