[AT] OT - Question about chain

Len Rugen rugenl at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 26 12:41:08 PST 2013

When you put tension on a tree with a chain, as soon as it moves a little, the chain goes slack.  I have some 2" wide nylon webbing, my tractor will probably stretch a 50 ft. piece 10 ft or more.  When the tree is cut, it gets a good 10' tug from the stretch.

If you're pulling a tree/log and it catches a stump, you will break a chain before you can react, nylon will give you enough time to clutch.

DO NOT mix nylon and chain, don't use metal hooks on nylon.  I know some come that way, but take some precaution so if something breaks, the metal hook doesn't become a nylon powered projectile.

Len Rugen

rugenl at yahoo.com - May also be used when responding as rugenl at prairiehome.k12.mo.us