[AT] photo finish

Greg Hass ghass at m3isp.com
Fri Nov 22 21:04:23 PST 2013

Day before yesterday I finally finished fall work. I still have a lot to
do such as getting equipment out away and getting the yard cleaned up
(not as in leaves etc. but a loader bucket here and there and dual
wheels laying where I took them off the tractor. On Wednesday I still
had to finish plowing and finish digging potatoes. Another guy helped
pick them up as I don't bend as well as I used to. I had four rows left
out of six, and we got eight heaping milk crates off of each row. It has
rained a lot here lately so the dirt kept sticking to the v shaped
digging plate of the potato digger but we got the job done. As for
plowing , I had about an hour left on one side of the field, but because
of the shape of the field, I had four headlands to do and they seemed to
take forever. It was almost dark but I was able to avoid lights.
Yesterday, I pressure washed the huge amount of mud off the plow and
managed to transfer 90% of it onto myself. Today I painted the shiny
parts of the plow with a protective coating (the IH version is called
till coat) . To some like Ralph this probably seems late to dig
potatoes, actually it is, but I got it done. For those who don't know, I
live in Michigans thumb, about 100 miles northeast of Detroit. The
reason I said photo finish is because tomorrow night it is supposed to
drop to 6 to 12 degrees F. It helps me to relax knowing the crops are
off and all my fall tillage is done. A lot of people around here are
also done, but there is quite a bit of corn still out, and a few fields
of soybeans. As for the potatoes, I am giving most of them away, as I
can't eat 32 crates; just me and the wife. I should probably quit
growing so many but I enjoy it although It gets harder each year.
             Greg Hass