[AT] photo finish

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Fri Nov 22 21:42:49 PST 2013

On 11/22/2013 11:04 PM, Greg Hass wrote:
>   To some like Ralph this probably seems late to dig
> potatoes, actually it is, but I got it done. For those who don't know, I
> live in Michigans thumb, about 100 miles northeast of Detroit. The
> reason I said photo finish is because tomorrow night it is supposed to
> drop to 6 to 12 degrees F. It helps me to relax knowing the crops are
> off and all my fall tillage is done. A lot of people around here are
> also done, but there is quite a bit of corn still out, and a few fields
> of soybeans. As for the potatoes, I am giving most of them away, as I
> can't eat 32 crates; just me and the wife. I should probably quit
> growing so many but I enjoy it although It gets harder each year.
>               Greg Hass
You are right Greg, it would be way too late to dig potatoes here as
they would be frozen solid as the ground they lie beneath. I like to get
mine in by mid October at least as they can be damaged by frost on the
surface if they are not well covered with dirt. We have been down near
the -20F mark the past couple of days with enough wind to give quite a
"chill factor".
I enjoy  growing a lot of potatoes here too but I feed a lot of them to
my cats. Nothing like a hot baked potato to take the chill off a cold
cat that lives out in the bale stack.
Here is a link to a photo of my Cockshutt 40 yesterday, hard at work
moving  a bale of hay for the cattle .
http://imageshack.com/i/jtxu7kj

Ralph in Sask.