[AT] Burnt crawler & hardness...

Tom tmartin at xtra.co.nz
Sat Nov 16 16:20:46 PST 2013

As regards fires and hardness...
Last century I rebuilt a logging Euclid C6 which had caught fire in a forest.

When I pulled the engine down (Detroit 6/71) the camshaft bearings were
lying in puddles in the sump, yet aluminum of the blower was unharmed.
Because of the cam bearings I had the cam and timing gears tested for
hardness. the camshaft( hardened steel as it runs at engine speed and
has roller followers) was twice as hard at the non drive end as the drive
end. the upper timing gears were half as hard as new ones.

All the oils in the tractor were cooked that much, so when I drained the
transmission, the stench was so great, I threw up. the final drives were
much the same. To do that to the oils, the temps would have been 400ºF+

The one funny thing about the total rebuild was when I came to paint it,
I ordered the paint by quantity in the manual. When I was painting it, I
struggled to get it all on. I thought it would all slide off on the ground.
Quite some time later it dawned on me, US gallons vs Imperial...

Tom