[AT] OT: Rosebuds! The oxi-acetylene kind...

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 05:10:00 PST 2013

Thing is, gears are case-hardened.  If you re-heat them (the BBQ fire in
the tranny) to the point that you damage the case hardness, what you've
done is converted the surface microstructure to a less desirable, softer
form of carbon steel, but the surface is still carbon-enriched.  A second
heat treatment would have to be done with care.  Some of the carbon from
the original case hardening is going to want to diffuse further into the
base material, meaning your second heat-treat process is going to need to
be a case-hardening process again, in order to get the surface hardness
back up, BUT, the case depth is going to increase, and this is likely to
make the gear teeth brittle and prone to fracture.

SO