[AT] OT: Rosebuds! The oxi-acetylene kind...

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Thu Nov 14 15:29:56 PST 2013

Agreed Dean,  I like Cecil's idea.   I once had to do a piping tie in
on a 2" hard drawn copper pipe that ran breathing gases in a hospital.
It was a 2 am tie in and it was in the low 20's F.  We had to solder the
joint with 95% silver solder.  95% melts and flows just barely before the
copper pipe burns.  It took two rosebuds running wide open to ever get the
thing hot enough and then it was too hot.  It was ugly but we eventually got
it
done.  I'm not saying this just to tell a war story.  If I had to do it
over,
I would have built some sort of containment around the pipe so that the heat
was better trapped.  Between the cold air and the rest of the cold pipe
beyond
the joint sinking the heat away it was a real problem to do and it was an
ugly
joint.  Luckily it was just temporary until the final piping system was in.
I'm thinking a weed burner or two would have helped us that night.  It would
have put the necessary heat on the pipe and we could have used a cutting tip
to heat the joint more directly to flow the solder in.

Charlie