[AT] Ralph, shut the door!

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Thu Nov 14 13:06:47 PST 2013

That 73 storm was 19" in the roadway between tall pine trees on each side
that kept it from drifting at all
on the road where I lived.    It was that storm that made me vow to own a
4wd truck.  4wd was relatively
rare around here then.  A couple of days after the storm we had walked out
to the main highway (US 70
east of New Bern about 10 miles).  The 4 lane highway was down to one track
in the east bound lane
with cars trying to go both ways in that track.  It was total gridlock.  One
car would pull up a car length or
so and dive off into the snow bank and the next car going the other way
would pull up where he had been
and do the same.  Folks were out of their cars and helping to push by hand.
There were cars backed up as
far as you could see in both directions.  It was a mixture of cars that
needed to leave the coast and head
inland and cars coming from the west needing to go to the coast and not
knowing what they were getting
into.  Even wreckers were stuck.  The west bound 2 lanes of the divided
highway was pristine snow that
was close to as deep as it was on our side road.  Very little had blown off
and it had a frozen crust on top.
There was not even a foot track in that side of the highway let alone a car
track.

WE were helping people push their cars and someone looked down the highway
about 2 miles to where there
was a long sweeping curve at a community called Croatan.  The person said
what's that.  We looked and all
you could see was a cloud of white that was progressively growing closer to
us.  In time we could see that it
was a Chevy Blazer, about a 69 model that had big 32" tires on it and a rod
holder on the front.  It was a rig
set up to surf fish.  That thing went by us running at least 30 mph.  I want
to say faster, plowing his own path
in 16+ inches of snow.   It was tracking as straight as an arrow.  Inside
there were two fellows in the front
wearing bib overalls and in the back seat was a man dressed like a
"gentleman"  He had on a dark top coat and a
hat and had a brief case balanced on his knees.  I could only surmise that
he had money, was at the coast, needed
to get out of there and had the means to make it happen.   I knew right then
I was going to have a 4wd truck.

I think it was another 2 days before we got  out of our road and we only got
out then because someone on the road
ran out of fuel oil and the oil truck couldn't get to him.  It wasn't from
lack of trying.  The man that ran out was the
local fuel oil jobber and it was his trucks trying to get to him.  The
called the national guard and they sent a motor grader
to get our road clear.  At that time the DOT here didn't have any dump truck
plows.  All they had were the few motor
graders they used to maintain the dirt roads in the county.  Maybe half a
dozen for a county nearly 70 miles long and up to 25 miles wide.

When the next big snow came our way, in 84 I think, I had just bought a 78
Blazer from a friend of mine.  The morning after the snow
he called and wanted to buy it back.  I laughed at him.

Charlie