[AT] OT: Rosebuds! The oxi-acetylene kind...

Dave Johnson webguydave at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 13 21:31:32 PST 2013

I'm pretty ok with cutting & brazing, but have never used a rosebud to heat something, and my experience today has me scratching my head.
The project at hand is freeing up a cast iron wheel hub, stuck on a keyed 1" shaft. This is on an old Gilson / MW garden tractor transmission.... the idea is to liberate a set of 4 of these hubs to make dual adapters for use on another tractor with a FEL.

 I have soaked it for quite some time and have a puller tensioned on it, but it's not moving... so now it's time for a little heat.

I bought a new victor 8-MFA rosebud and lit it off as I would the torch, but when I try to get a blue flame, it flames out with a pop!

What's going on here? Do I not want a hot blue flame, or do I simply need to feed a lot more of both gases to the torch? Or??  Any insight into these things would be appreciated!

   btw, I'm on digest, so it'll take a day for me to respond (:<((

Dave in Gilroy, CA
webguydave at yahoo.com