[AT] OT

Charlie V 1cdevill at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 14:55:35 PST 2013

Thanks for that, Len.  It sure looks like it might have some benefit.

Richard,  I am guessing you will not be impressed with Win 8 at all.  Many
people are not.  I have it on one laptop. My biggest gripe is no Solitaire,
Free Cell,  or Spider Solitaire.  These can be downloaded from the net, but
are not the same version as was in Win 7.  Aside from that, it was designed
for the cell phone / tablet generation with many, many apps.  A very large
pain and some are always connected and can monitor all of your internet
activity.  For marketing purposes they say.  Bull dung.  More likely spying.

I have always dragged shortcuts to my desktop for all of my regularly used
web sights such as this one.  One mouse click and I am in. I usually have a
desktop cluttered with shortcuts, but they are a great time and work saver.
For almost everything else I usually just Google it.  Typing web addresses
into a browser line has always seemed like a wasted effort.  If one uses
desktop shortcuts on their desktop, Windows 8 can also be set up to do the
same and can also have shortcuts for the Control Panel and other internal
operating  tasks.  One of the apps on the Win 8 main screen brings up a
pretty much blank desktop. From the many other apps, this desktop can be
populated with all of your common programs and files so it looks and works
much like Win 7.  I have done this with my laptop, but not being a computer
wizzzz, I suspect it may have taken me five hours or more to figure all of
this out.  After that it is somewhat downhill to populate the desktop.

Bottom line to me is:  Unless forced to do so, why does a person want to
dump the money for a new computer that requires a bunch of learning over in
order to have it function somewhat like your old one did.  I read that many
companies have run training courses to familiarize their staff with Win 8.
Now there is a money saver.

I do note that Windows 7 software packages can be purchased new with proper
MS license fo under $ 100.  A person could buy a new unit and the separate
Win 7 package to install in it, but that sure is an extra expense.

Good luck.

Charlie V.