[AT] OT

Robert L. Holtzer rholtzer at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 9 16:01:53 PST 2013

On 11/9/2013 1:46 PM, Richard Fink Sr wrote:
> Hi need some feed back on computers. My computer with win XP has died was looking at a new HP with win 8. Has any one run this and what are your thoughts. I am old school love win XP and hate change have been told it is all touch and so on takes special screen or monitor????????????????
> R Fink
> PA

Microsoft stops supporting XP sometime next year I believe.

I have run Windows 8 for a while and now upgraded to 8.1.  Neither were
on touchscreen monitors -- just mouse and keyboard.  Nicest change in
8.1 is an option to jump directly to desktop on boot up. W8 always boots
to the Metro screen unless you install one of the workaround options
that are available on line.

W8.1 was a pain to load - 3.6 *gigabyte *download!  There were also
numerous pages of legal stuff to deal with.  Of course if you buy a new
installed system all this will be avoided.  I assembled my own system
which is a desktop.

If you get a W8 machine, Microsoft will provide a no-cost upgrade to 8.1
I believe.   My suggestion would be to have your computer seller do the
installing of 8.1 and set it up to boot to desktop.  It will work pretty
much like an XP or W7 once set up.  Pushing the Windows logo key
switches the screen to Metro with all the "buttons".

One thing I struggled with was the insistence of the W8.1 system to set
up a Microsoft account.  Couldn't find a way to avoid it.   It has some
advantages but for us older folks it can be a pain to deal with!
Finally got it done at any rate.

Richard, several years ago now you were kind enough to send me a couple
(?) of carburetors when I was working on an old motorcycle
refurbishment.  I've never forgotten that kindness and frequently read
your comments on the tractor net.

Bob Holtzer

PS I still do most of my computer stuff on this Windows 7 system!!