[AT] RE Misc tractor recomendations

Andy Glines andyglines at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 4 07:44:59 PST 2013

I don't that they are not antique but I suggest that you look into compact diesel tractors.  I was faced with a similar situation 8 years ago.  There are older tractors which will do the work the big question is ...... Do you want something the work with or something to work on?  I spent a lot of money on my compact diesel but never regretted it.  It is always there and always ready to go.  These things last a long time so you will have not problem getting your money's worth over time.  I have a New Holland TC 40D with super steer.  This is a 40HP 4wd with hydrostatic transmission and a loader.  This is the do-all machine on my place including mowing the grass with a rear finish mower.  I thought that it would be way to big to lawn mowing but it works great and traverses small ditches ans steep inclines that a regular mower or zero turn would not do.  The loader is designed for quick/easy removal so I take it off for mowing.  The big R4 industrial tires do tend to roll the grass down leaving minor strips in the finished lawn.  BTW my 40 diesel burns less fuel than Dad's 20 mower and I can go lots faster.  I have cleared 24" of snow with this machine using the loader and rear blade.  It was slow going but it worked.  It easily handles the 6"-8" we usually get here.  The R4 tires are a great compromise between turf & ag tires except they have terrible sideways traction.  The angled rear blade tends to push the rear of the tractor sideways when plowing snow.  This could be fixed with additional weight or tire chains.  You mentioned that there may be a 3pt log splitter available.  I have one and really like it.  Its fault is that these tractors don't have big hyd pumps so cycle times can be a little slow.  I also have a bush hog, box blade, & forks for the loader.   All of my implements are very good used pieces which serve me well.  I have a quick attach loader bucket (same as skid steer) so we built a set of pallet forks for it.  The forks probably get used more than the bucket.  If you stick with Orange, Green, or Blue you should get a good tractor.  Let me know if you have questions and I can also recommend a good discussion group about compact tractors.