[AT] Misc tractor recommendations?

Len Rugen rugenl at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 3 12:36:38 PST 2013

I have a MF255 also :-).  I bought the 255 to be more HP than anything else we had on the farm, then bought the K3130 to be a landscaping tractor we could haul and it's the only loader I have.  The 3130 does a lot of work for it's size, I have the gear drive - shuttle shift tractor, not the HST.  We have done a lot of pretty heavy work with it, piling brush with the loader.  I got a tooth bar for the loader so it digs pretty good and haven't bent the bucket.  It is a Bush Hog loader, I think it's heavier built than the Kubota.  I have to be careful, limbs can occasionally find their way inside the engine compartment and attack the belts.  A weakness of these is breaking the plastic radiator tanks, loosing coolant and overheating the engine, which usually ruins it.

The Kubota will run out of traction before it runs out of HP for loader or heavy/slow work, but for field work, say pulling a 10' drill, but it may be that that task hit the gap in the Hi/Lo range.  1Hi was out of HP, 4Lo was slow with excess HP.   The 255 would have left tracks the drill wouldn't cover :-)

My 255 is in pretty good shape, just under 2900 hours, I bought it with about 1500.  My power steering is weak after it warms up, but only when going slow, it's not noticed at field speed.

The 3130 has probably earned it's keep.  The landscaping business (my sons) still uses the tractor some, but a skid steer is faster for dirt work and he often just rents one when he needs one.  For me, the 3130 is the right size, a few more HP might be nice at times if it fit in the same package and didn't add much weight.

Len Rugen

rugenl at yahoo.com - May also be used when responding as rugenl at prairiehome.k12.mo.us